Congratulations to all NQTs out there as you approach the end of your first year at the chalkface. What an achievement it is to have survived what will no doubt be one of the toughest years of your career.
Take a moment to think about how far you have come since last September, how much you have learned, and what you and your students have achieved.
This NQT special edition, produced with support from the NASUWT, is designed to offer new and trainee teachers everywhere advice, guidance, empathy, solidarity and much more as you approach your summer break and prepare for September.
We would like to encourage all NQTs to take stock of what you have achieved. Teaching is one of the most noble and proudest of professions and, as you hopefully have already discovered, the highs by far outweigh the lows. Hold on to this and take some time this summer to celebrate all you have achieved. We are right behind you.
- A focus on NQTs' rights and legal entitlements.
- Advice on how to have an impact beyond your NQT year.
- A focus on CPD and the key strengths new teachers must develop.
- Advice on updating and improving your lesson plans.
- How to finish your NQT year properly, how to handle the summer break, and preparing for September.
- Managing your workload in year 2 and hints and tips to help you to say ‘no’ more (while maintaining your professionalism).
- Advice from a year 2 teacher about what next year holds and how to survive and thrive!
Published: June 2014